Monday, December 20, 2010

Chicken Wings

    Barbecue or birthday party? They have to make a choice between two of them, for their Saturday night activity. Tomorrow is the day. They are still unworried. To them, whatever will do. They do not know us. At the same time, they do not know them too.
    Today is their second day here, Ipoh. They are from everywhere, like the whole world has came to my territory. Two from Korea, three from Hong Kong, one from Vietnam, and one is local. Where else do they needed to be from? They are too familiarized to be here. I could speak my Cantonese to them. Even my broken English has become a medium for us. I remember how I used watched Hong Kong drama series when I was younger. Now, they are like people jump out from television set.
    They have been to many places yesterday. They went to my school, and even stepped into my most favorite breakfast spot for my foreign friends. They have known much more than I expect them to be. Marvelous.
    "Hi. This is ... from Korea."
    "Hi. I'm Kim, from Korea too."
    In kidding, I bluff her that we are from the same nation, while our mutual friend, Chicken introduces us to each other. I have a name which is common in Korea. I hope this joke works internationally, but usually it fails. I try to remember her Korean name, but it doesn't lock into my brain. I'm too new to hear names.
    There are few people currently. Most of them are in their own room, dressing themselves. It's too early now. I'm the earliest to reach their house. Their house is Chicken's house. They stay at Chicken's house.
    Of all the names I heard, I could only remember one name. She is Mei Ting, girl from Hong Kong. She has a wide eyes, and likes to smile. She seldom sits as far as I can remember. When Mei smiles, her eyes get wider. I don't know why. 
    They are all friends of Chicken. After few rounds of meal, and perhaps its the effect of our local white coffee, Chicken decides to go to Barbecue. Well, this activity is where I could go. If Chicken does not make this choice, then they will be disappear at the Saturday cool night ever.
    So then. We go to a super market to shop for ingredient. We drive to a place where I've never been to. Three cars are in. One large group of us attacks an unfamiliar super market. How could that be done, especially for me who doesn't know how to pick anything related to my mom's job? I used to wait for my mom while she buys any vegetables in market. This is not my forte. At a chance, I slipped out from group. I'm so tired due to shouting too much in the morning. I grab a mineral water, drink it. Then, I head to an empty seat in a cafeteria, I sleep.
   It is so quiet in the cafeteria. Though there are one family with two kiddos beside me, they aren't making much noise. I sleep like a baby.
    After waking up, I'm much refreshed. Immediately, I get myself to be in group. I look out for them.
    At this time, SMS reaches my mobile phone. It's my friend, Daniel from Sarawak, who is one of my good friends while I was studying in Sabah. He came to Ipoh, just today. He is going to eat Ngachoy Gai at night in town. Coincidentally, we are going to eat same Ngachoy Gai later. It's 7.55pm now, and Daniel informs me that he has arrived. Then, I ask myself can I reach there on time.
    Immediately I go to find the gang who are still happening in the market. I found them. They are definitely had a great time together. Looking at the trolley, they have not get anything relates to our barbeque -no chicken, no fish ball, and not butter. I summon them to get everything.
    Without much expected, they are so hype and get themselves into one team. Everyone get something. Few get some packets back. I do not know what they get, the packets look new to me. One thing is not there.
    "Chicken wings! I go and get chicken wings."
    After speaking, I turns to a corridor my self.
    One person is following me. She is Mei.
    "We go and get chicken wings."
    I was shocked. It's not common for her to follow me. I usually walk alone, and rarely people could follow my footsteps.
    "Where is chicken wings?"
    "I do not know."
    "What else you want to buy?"
    "I do not know how to cook. You know? Hong Kong girls."
    I understood. She told me, together with Yang, Korean girl that they don't cook, may be except for instant noodles and eggs. That's not bad. The frankness that she told me that.
    So, Mei and I go straight. We reach a place, should be correct. We see chickens and fishes. There are drumsticks, chicken in whole piece, fishes lying and arranged beautifully. The thing we are looking is not there.
    "Where is chicken wing?"
    "I don't know."
    I move further. There is no chicken wings. I turn back, other people are here.
    Later, Chicken came. I ask him.
    "Where is chicken wings?"
    "Oh. Seong will buy chicken wing tomorrow morning in the market."
    Then, I know we cannot get chicken wings in the super market, at least for some reason there are no chicken wings at there at night.

2 comments:

Gr@c3 said...

Funny la...
which super market no chicken wings?
haha

yongkim said...

Hahah... Got sell one ah?

I kenot find leh.